Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fitting backdrop boards

Today I purchased some hardboards of approx 3mm thick, 4Ft long and 2 Ft high. These are used to make the backdrops, which I'm going to paint. In my case I could easily nail them to the roof beams and I used some duct tape to seal the gaps between them.
Once fitted I'm going to 'paint' a layer of PVA glue over them to get a good water tight base to paint on. The method I'm going to use is painting a base coat of blue paint, and then using cloud templates to spray on clouds. To see how that's done have a look here.
The picture shows the first couple of boards fitted to the roof. North Eastern GP38-2 no 1623 is just passing with a short local freight train.

2 comments:

  1. Martin Boysak suggested to use an oilbased paint instead of PVA. In his experience, PVA is still water soluble afterwards, and could still be affected by emulsion type paints. While I never had a problem, it is an other good alternative in protecting the hardboard from moisture and prevent warping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another person suggests to use thin MDF, which is fairly flexible and even more moisture/warp proof than hardboard. Thickness used is up to 6mm, of course this is heavier and needs a stronger support with more nails/screws etc

    ReplyDelete